Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Wise Words From Riley Cote

I didn't do a ton of writing on Bruce Boudreau running his mouth, because I thought it was all pretty stupid and meaningless. But pretty much everyone on the Flyers got asked about it, with different levels of engagement in their responses. My favorite stuff quotes, though, came from team poet laureate, Riley Cote.

From the team P.R. blog, On The Fly: (Link)

Cote said the following, before the Flyers-Capitals game at the Verizon
Center on Tuesday night:

"I didn't read the article, I only kind of heard about it second hand. The fact that he's wasting his energy and time talking about something like that, he's just nit-picking I think. He's digging for something to talk about. We won last game, we played a good team game. You get into a couple fights, and you win some and you lose some. Brashear is a tough guy, there's no question. I don't feel bad. So I did my job, came out on the wrong end of the stick, big deal? It's a whole new game tonight and a brand new battle.

"I'll be the first one to tell you I got my ass kicked. I really don't care, I got back up and fought him again. For me, it's no big deal. All that stuff just gives me more incentive to do my job better. I'm sure the team can say the same thing.

"If you've got a coach chirping at the way we play, I take that as a compliment because that's Flyers hockey and we're not going to back down from anybody no matter how physical a team is."

Cote also scoffed at the suggestion that the Flyers were running up the score.

"How do you run the score up in hockey? I mean, it's a hockey game. You try to score goals. I don't know how you can run the score up unless you pull the goalie or something."

As for his shot at Cote for losing the battles with Brashear...

"He can carve me up all he wants, I'm still going to come out swinging."

Beautiful stuff, Riley.

No comments: